DangerousDrugs-79x73
Snake Oil or Miracle Drug? Keep an Eye on Your Medications

Every day we see or hear about drugs and medicines that are going to make us smarter, prettier, stronger, and/or cure all that ails us. “Do they really work?” is not the main question that needs to be asked.

What You Should Be Asking

1. What are the side effects?
  2. Is the manufacturer telling the whole truth about the testing and results?
  3. Is the drug being marketed for a purpose for which it was not intended (known as off-label marketing, which is illegal)?

Drug Issues In The News

FDA Issues Warning About So-Called Brain Supplement Prevagen

A supplement called Prevagen, which has helped propel its manufacturer, Quincy Bioscience, into the ranks of fastest-growing companies in the U.S., shows evidence of serious side effects and should be marketed and regulated as a drug, says the U.S. Food and Drug Administration […] Read Full Article

Zofran® Use During Pregnancy Linked to Serious Health Problems in Babies

The anti-nausea drug Zofran (ondansetron) has been linked to doubled risks of heart defects and serious illness in newborns, according to recent research and a newspaper investigation. What type of health problems and birth defects have been linked to Zofran? Morning sickness usually occurs in the first trimester of pregnancy, which is when fetuses are […] Read Full Article

Health Care Scams Touted in Surprising Places

A duo of well-known health gurus has touted the benefits of a supplement called Rhodiola as a fatigue and stress fighting “tonic.” Further research revealed that all studies supporting these claims were conducted in former Soviet republics.[…]Read Full Article

FDA Warns Against Taking Supplement Called Reumofan Plus

The FDA says Reumofan Plus, a dietary supplement manufactured in Mexico but sold widely on the internet and at some retail outlets and flea markets, contains unlisted ingredients that could seriously harm users. […]Read Full Article

How Are Drug Manufacturers Legally Responsible?

Whether the drug is over-the-counter, mail order or prescription only, manufacturers are responsible for ensuring their products are safe. They also have a responsibility to explain the risks and benefits of their products in ways people can understand, and to continue to evaluate their products for safety as more people use them. When companies fail in these responsibilities, they can be held legally responsible to the people they hurt.

3.3320
Rob Jenner

Robert Jenner brings to the My Advocates medical and legal team more than 26 years experience representing injured consumers nation-wide against the manufacturers of dangerous prescription drugs, defective medical devices, tainted blood products, and other unsafe products. Mr. Jenner has been honored by his peers for inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Maryland’s Super Lawyers”(named in Top 50). READ FULL BIO

36 Responses to “Snake Oil or Miracle Drug? Keep an Eye on Your Medications”

1. avatar Frankie Rene White says:

Just want to say thank you for exposing dangers in products which would normally be undisclosed to the public.

2. avatar Cheryl says:

Times have changed, you’re living in the past because today’s FDA has not only lost its credibility but has been clearly delineated time and time again as being dangerous to human health. Aspartame and flouride are just two examples of what the FDA supports.

It’s as clear as day FDA is nothing more than a type of mafia operating on behalf of corporate interests. So when you attack a product, we don’t at all take what the FDA claims seriously. The agency has completely 100% lost all credibility. Because the FDA is attacking Prevegen, I’m going to use the product.

3. avatar Urban Daniel says:

Cheryl needs to read some of the non-FDA reports on Prevagen written in some cases by those with an education in that type of product. It has limited published positive results and most imply that it is somewhat like a placebo.

4. avatar Ann says:

Have to agree with Cheryl. FDA doesnt have much credibility lately. Every other commercial is a lawsuit against a drug that was FDA approved and now people are sick or dying from it. Consumers must be smart and do their research. Im sure they want Prevagin to be a drug so the big drug companies can manufacturer it and triple if not more, the price.

5. My wife’s memory became so bad that we could not find her glasses in the house . . . later we found them in the freezer . . . she would cry because she was losing her memory . . . she has been taking Prevagen for a year and a half and her memory is back to normal . . . she is a retired university professor of biology and is very intelligent . . . we can only say Thanks God for Prevagen . . . Clancy DelForge Ed.D . . .

6. avatar sarah says:

I agree the FDA is bought by the big companies. There are side effects to anything you take so just do the research on this as any other thing you ingest.

7. avatar Arnold Beatrice says:

Another product produced by “Dr.Good,” the traveleing scam artist in a covered wagon who rolls into towns, sells garbage and then whips his horses’ asses to move like lightning before being lynched.

8. avatar Theresa says:

Talk to your neurologist and research in New England Journal of Medicine and Harvard Medical School or Mayo clinic newsletter/library before you take any brain supplement or medicine.I am an MS (40 years) patient. Good luck.

9. avatar Wade hampton says:

Is there any credibility to the claim that prevagen can cause seizures?

10. avatar Annette says:

Oh, and by the way, I just bought a bottle of Prevagen and received it yesterday. I took my first capsule last night before work. I hate to say it, but I actually think I felt more alert already. I work the night shift. I only bought a 30 day supply and am testing it out. I will let you all know how it goes…

11. avatar AnnP says:

The FDA puts killer drugs on the market by prescription everyday and is going to worry about a supliment. Its the money from Pharm they are worried about not getting kicked back!

12. avatar John Galt says:

If the FDA is against it that much it can only mean three things: 1.) It Works, 2.) It’s likely harmless and 3.) It’s a DIRE THREAT to some pharmaceutical companies side effect ridden also ran.

13. avatar dochlee says:

Making tablets or pills is not that difficult. The Chinese, the Egyptians, the Indians, the Romans and many others were already making tons of pills several thousand years ago. The most difficult and expensive part of the pill is what’s “in the pill”. Anything being advertised as health enhancer and sold at a profit should first and foremost be proven safe and effective prior to being sold in the open market. Otherwise, how is that any better than snake oil? It’s unfortunate that billions of dollars are expended by those in desperate need for a panacea without such proof being made available.

14. avatar JoevDeagle says:

A little basic science.

Prevalent is a protein. A protein is like a chain of amino acids. Think of prevagen as a train and the amino acids are the cars of that train.

Your gastrointestinal tract does not absorb proteins. If it did your immune system would recognize it as foreign and it would cause an allergic response.
    The way you body uses proteins if to break them into individual amino acids before absorbing them.
    So all proteins are just a source of amino acids.
    The same amino acids are in all proteins.
    The amino acids in prevagen are no different than anything else you eat.

so basic science should tell you this stuff can not possibly work.

15. avatar Linda Savage says:

What is the current medical profession thinking on Prevagen now. As in January 2015? There was an infomercial on TV this evening that sounded very convincing and lots of positive comments online?

16. avatar mary says:

Im sure FDA is making fuss about this because the didn’t get their cut… a lot of drugs they’ve approved over the years have been less than helpful… they are nothing but bullies and blackmailers.

17. avatar Teresa says:

Drug manufacturers are among the largest profiteers in the world and everyone knows the FDA is controlled by them and the corporate food manufacturers (who poison our children everyday with chemicals and GMO products). WAKEE UP PEOPLE!!! Congress itself is nothing more than a corporate battle ground! Using FDA warnings to support an argument only gets suspicion from me.
    I would not take anything that does not have plenty of unbiased research to show it is safe. However, unbiased research is rare due to the drug companies “funding” all the universities that do the research…let the buyer beware.

18. avatar Donald says:

Prevagen appears to have remarkable potential but I agree that it needs to go through the FDA processes for a new drug application (NDA). Perhaps some type of expedited clinical trial, or a large crossover clinical trial, may provide relief for the epidemic of neurodegenerative disorders affecting the elderly. In general, supplements should be forced to prove their safety and efficacy if they are going to make significant health claims.

19. avatar Richard Pratt says:

Is there “ANY” product that REALLY helps with memory
    loss ???????????
    I am 77yrs old and do indeed suffer from memory loss.
    Golden years is a joke..
    I dont care whether the product is a drug, a supplement,
    a witches brew,etc
    I want it to WORK!!!!!
    Dick

20. avatar Jean says:

Anyone heard of Sativa a natural sugar. The FDA chased the origianal guy wanting to sell it as a natural sugar but is was only approved as a nutritional supplement. They went after him in the US so he moved to Equador where it was perfectly legeal and was extradited by the FDA back to the US for prosecuting. It is now on every shelf in every grocery store and is more safe than all other sugar substitutes. The FDA went after him because it was competition for Spenda and Nutrasweet. The FDA raids organic raw milk farms almost like a drug raid. They come in like a SWAT team, confiscate everything, destroy the milk and the milk products for absolutely no reason other than Big Ag controls them too. They want us to buy the discusting, puss ridden, sick meat produced the big Corporate Agriculture which represents about 80% of our food. Foxes are definitely in charge of the hen houses in America

21. avatar Wallace says:

Cheryl’s response June 20, 2013 indicates she is going to use the product. Do we have feedback from Cheryl regarding her experience? It’s been over20 months since her post….anxious to hear back from her…I too recently saw a TV ad for Prevagen.

22. avatar John says:

Link to – original complaint – Pdf file of Class-action Lawsuit against Quincy-BioScience – Makers of Prevagen:

23. avatar Don Pavalito says:

I am a old man with memory loss due to ACV,i read both side,and i am a little scare to use Prevagen…….the main reason is that i don’t see any serious medical studies regarding this product and it could be dangerous for health…….your health and my health and health of many,many people

So i am writing my email add and asking,if any of you can direct me to the reading of a serious analyse of Prevagen if possible by a medical person,so we all can avoid bad reactions

Together,we can know and learn every thing

Thanks for your reply………Don

mastigouche@hotmail.com

24. avatar James Klein says:

If Prevalent is a protein (#7) which is a chain of amino acids and broken down and absorbed as such in the gastrointestinal tract, then why is the FDA so concerned about it? If it is a placebo, then for some people its effect is nonetheless real as well as harmless. As compared to earlier times, current stricter laws governing the ethical aspects of using humans in medical research has resulted in the current state of affairs: humans will create and partake of drugs/supplements on their own in un-designed, population-wide studies. When enough adverse effects (or non-effects) reach a threshold noticeable by the public, then individuals can make more informed choices regarding their approach to that drug/supplement.

25. avatar Doug says:

I am 73, for the last year I have seen a deterioration of my short term memory, such as walking into a room and not remembering why I was there, or misplacing my glasses.

Seen the ad on TV, bought a bottle which both my wife and I share. In four days I noticed that the events had declined, and now after two weeks I rarely have the same occurrence of those events, my wife on the other had experienced less improvement, but still an improvement.

Will continue to use it as long as it continues to work, not much else to say.

26. avatar Beth says:

I agree with Cheryl…..my first thought was ‘well if the FDA is after the makers of prevagen, there must be something that actually works in it’. Ha now that goes to show you how much credibility they have lost in my eyes. I want to do the exact opposite of whatever the FDA recommends.

27. avatar Judith Deutsch says:

My mother takes Prevagen and our doctor just approved it for my father, as well. The difference in my mother is remarkable. She has Alzheimer’s disease and has been on Prevagen since a friend recommended it a number of years ago. Her mind is much clearer, she doesn’t wander, and she is much less violent on Prevagen. She was hospitalized and the doctors would not let her have Prevagen because it is not FDA approved. She reverted so quickly that the doctors reversed themselves and recommended that we give her the Prevagen while in the hospital. She doesn’t take her medication herself so she didn’t know she was off of it. So much for the placebo effect! Once back on it she, once again, regained portions of her memory, calmed down, and stopped wandering. All of us have different chemistry so what works for one person may not work for all. Prevagen definitely works for my parents.

28. avatar Russ says:

Big Pharma has the FDA in its back pocket. Many drugs approved by the FDA are nothing more than some form of plant phytonutrient with a few additives and a fancy name to enable private labeling and patents. The FDA is just a bully agency that is typical of a too big government with out of control regulations. If an individual wants to take a vitamin or supplement that they feel works for them, then so be it. If you only want to take those approved by the FDA, then you can live by that, but it should not be the rule for all. There are many excellent nutritional supplements that give much better results with less side effects than many of the FDA approved drugs.

29. avatar Sharon Anaya says:

I took Prevagen for over a year at least,and then developed a stage 4 cancerous brain toumer,don’t know if it had anything to do w/taking the drug or not,but buyer bewhere .

30. avatar Helen McClung says:

I took this for a week. At the end of the week, I had red itchy blotches all over my neck. I stopped taking and eventually they cleared up. Just to be sure, I took one the other day and this happened again. I will never take another one. Maybe I am allergic to jellyfish. Just a warning

31. avatar Breana" says:

I just wanted to say, why would anybody trust anything the FDA would say. Heck I sit and watch drug commercials about new meds just come out. They tell you about side effects. Has anyone ever noticed the side effects are already the problems you already have that you are trying to get help for. There are way to many drugs coming out the FDA has not even looked at but approved . Please gives some of us a break. We are not all that gullble.I don’t trust anybody in authority over america. Too much proof they don’t care about us. Only $$$$$$$.

32. avatar Hardly Believable says:

PREVAGEN Works for me remarkable improvement in my memory within days of taking first doses.
    This article is just another scare tactic to detour the unsuspecting sheep away from potentially helpful “Alternative” remedies. Drug companies hate it when their potential profits for addictive and harmful products go somewhere else. Crying shame Waaaaa!
    Get a mind of your own people..

33. avatar Harley says:

Apoaequorin Works for me remarkable improvement in my memory within days of taking first doses.
    Get a mind of your own people..

34. avatar Bill Dyrham says:

The Big Drug companies have a revolving door between
    corporate people hired by FDA. Check their background and
    you will see the “foxes in the hen house”.
    Trust any government agency at your own peril! Especially
    IRS, FDA, ATF, all government employee leaches!

35. avatar Greg Dykhuizen says:

According to the manufacturer, the active ingredient in Prevagen is a protien. Protiens are broken into amino acids by digestion, therfore they would be indistinguishable from protien from a pork chop,eg.. Additionally, neither protiens nor amino acids cross the blood-brain barrier. The active ingredient would have to cross the blood brain barrier to have the effect they claim.

36. avatar Greg Dykhuizen says:

Thank goodness they let you reply to your own comments. Of course amino acids cross the blood-brain barrier, but whole protiens, if my recollection is correct, are not allowed to pass. Also, they effect they claim could occur if the active ingredient is excluded from the CNS, via placebo effect…..which is probably a very real phenomenon.